Hadley and I were desperate for a vacation. The last few months have been rough for everyone with me being sick. Luckily I felt fairly good on our vacation other than being really tired (trip alone with a 3-year-old anyone?).
Our trip started out particularly rough. I tried to make Hadley potty before our flight and the toilet scared her, so then she threw a fit in the middle of the airport. She was bawling and screaming that she didn't want to go anymore and wanted to go home. By the time we got to our gate I realized they had switched us to another terminal, and by the time we made it there they had already started boarding. Luckily we got on without too much ado. She calmed down and did pretty good on the flight.
Until we landed...it was a pretty turbulent flight and made her sick. When we were waiting for everyone to get off the flight she puked all over the (thank goodness) empty seat next to us. I asked a guy to get a flight attendant for me, not for them to clean but just hoping they would have some towels or something besides wipes for me to clean up with. They never came, so I cleaned everything up with wipes. By the time everyone was off the plane I had it mostly cleaned up. Then the flight attendants started being rude to me because I was holding them up from getting off the plane. By this point I am crying because I am pregnant, hormonal, have a sick 3-year-old, and am being treated like crap. SO FUN! The cleaning crew was on the plane and one of them was so sweet and carried Hadley's bag all the way into the airport for me.
I then had to get me and Hadley, our backpacks, our luggage, and pick up her car seat. I had to get all of that through the airport to the shuttle to take us to the rental car place. During that process we had to take an elevator. Hadley is scared of elevators, so I would have to put everything down to pick her up during the 5-second elevator ride. She was supposed to follow me right off but didn't, and she got STUCK on the elevator alone going up and down. I was about done at that point! It took me a few frantic minutes to get her free. After that we made it to the rental car place and THANK GOODNESS the rest of the trip was much better.
Hadley was obviously pretty upset and told me she was never going on an airplane again. She kept apologizing for throwing up which broke my heart, and finally I helped her understand it wasn't her fault and she didn't need to apologize. She then decided it was my fault and kept telling me to apologize to her for making her go on the airplane. I decided to buy her a fancy kite as my apology. It helped immensely. We couldn't check into our hotel yet, so we went to Sea Port Village and bummed around a bit. We then checked into our hotel which was really nice, and Hadley LOVES hotels so it helped. We met Jonas for dinner that night at some friends and crashed.
The next day was Legoland time! It was such a good park for little kids. Hadley had loads of fun, and I don't think we even hit half of everything. We made it on two rides, and she thought it was pretty cool.
She loved the water (even though I didn't think it was that warm to get soaking wet...what do I know?).
That night we were able to meet Jonas again for a late dinner, and then we crashed again from a big day. Jonas was coaching at the Olympic Training Center, so he stayed there and was busy most of the time.
Friday was our totally free day (aka beach day), so I was pretty bummed when the weather didn't really cooperate. It wasn't too cold but was cloudy and windy and not warm enough to play on the beach for too long. Hadley still had fun and got her ice cream for the day at Coronado. I love that island and just looking at all of the houses. We headed back to the hotel where Hadley ended up taking a 4-hour nap, so it was probably good to have the down day.
That night we met a friend for dinner and then headed to Target to spend some money. I always seem to find the Target and spend some money. I got Hadley a nightgown that apparently looks like one in Frozen, so she was stoked to wear that the rest of our trip.
On Saturday Jonas' kids raced on the big track, so we went and hung out for a while. Hadley played in the rocks for the most part and followed her idol, Sophia, around while eating all of her food. Sophia took Hadley to see her room, and by the time we got there Hadley had stripped down to her undies and was resting in Sophia's bed.
After lunch we headed to La Jolla for some much-needed beach time. I am really bummed because out of the whole trip we only got about 1-1/2 hours of good beach time. Hadley went absolutely nuts. She had to put her swimming suit on even though it wasn't super warm, and she could have played for hours.
I only convinced her to leave by promising some ice cream, which was mighty tasty.
Just striking a pose in her bikini.
The next day we got up to leave, and of course the weather was GORGEOUS!! I can't tell you how close I was to paying whatever gross amount of money it would have cost to change our flight to get one more day at the beach. Luckily our flight went better going home since Hadley fell asleep for the second half.
We had such a fun time, and Hadley has had a little separation from me since being home. It took us a few nights for her to stay in her bed all night after sharing one with me. (Our last night there she shared a pillow with me the whole night in our king-sized bed). We are definitely going to try to fit in a few more weekend trips before the baby comes and we are at home for a while. Thanks Jonas for planning a great trip for us!









1 comment:
Oh gosh, that made me laugh out loud the part about her deciding her puking was your fault. Silly girl. That sounds like a HECTIC plane ride (I'll be doing that alone with Harvey all the way to Hawaii (16hr journey) in a couple months and am SO scared). So glad to hear the minus less than ample beach time it was worth all the trouble! Can't wait to see you guys!
Post a Comment