I already mentioned how this pregnancy was harder than last time, and it made it even worse having the 2 different due dates. I was really hoping she would come between the 2 dates at least, but of course that didn't happen.
I had just resigned myself to the fact that she could be a while still when on Saturday (Sept. 6) around 11:20 p.m. as I settled into the lovesac for the night I started noticing contractions. Hadley's labor was 13 hours top to bottom so every doc/midwife I saw warned me that this one could come pretty quick. The contractions were a consistent 5 minutes apart already when I noticed them. Hadley woke up at 12:30 to potty so I decided to let Jonas know it was game time. He was awake but stayed in bed for the next 4 or so hours while I was downstairs watching TV and working through the contractions. They picked up in intensity pretty quick and made it not possible for me to sleep or even lay down through them.
About 4:30 I headed upstairs and tried the tub. I know it helps a lot of people, but it didn't work for me. The contractions were already pretty strong, and it made it worse that I couldn't move to get through them. While I tried that Jonas was loading everything up, eating cereal, and making his first of lots of coffee for the day. I didn't make it in the tub for long but already my contractions had slowed down. As soon as I got out they picked right back up. Around 5:30 we got Hadley up to get her ready to go to Larry's. Normally she is a grump when you wake her up, but she was so excited that baby was finally coming. We headed to Larry's shortly after.
The contractions again slowed as we were driving to Bountiful, but as soon as I would stand up they would come back full force. We got Hadley settled, I made another call to the midwife at the hospital that we were coming, and we headed to the hospital. Jonas drove a little like a maniac for some reason even though I wasn't even close to having the baby.
When we got to the hospital they checked me and I was only at a 3+. It was so disappointing considering how long I had been laboring already and how fast Hadley's labor had went. Remi was also facing the wrong way, so the midwives did some interesting technique where they put a sheet under me and basically bounced me around the bed. I couldn't help but laugh hysterically. They also had me doing lunges to try to get her to move.
Then they sent me walking for 2 hours. I am so glad it was a Sunday because the hospital was pretty empty. So Jonas and my mom walked with me, I did stairs, and Jonas got more food and coffee. We went back to get checked at 10, and I was still only at a 4+. The hospital won't admit you until you are at a 5. I asked them to strip my membranes and off we went walking again. This time we didn't even make it an hour because the contractions were so close and so hard. We headed back up and finally got admitted.
By the time I got admitted I was already so exhausted. Between having no sleep for the past 3 months, being up all Saturday night, and then the labor taking so long it was rough. The midwives were with me almost constantly trying to help with the contractions, but nothing really was helping. I tried the tub again because I was pretty desperate, but that didn't really work either. Midwives don't usually check you during labor, but for my sanity I asked them to check me a few times throughout the afternoon. By about 4:00 p.m. I was falling asleep between every contraction. When they checked me I was still at a 6 and Remi was at a -2 (meaning she hadn't dropped much at all). I had officially reached my limit. I looked at Jonas and said I couldn't do it anymore and I wanted an epidural.
It seemed like eternity for the anesthesiologist to come in, and it took the nurse a few tries to get the IV in right. When the epidural was finally in it still took about 6 or so contractions for it to give me any real relief. About the time that happened I started feeling the pressure of Remi. I just knew that as soon as I got an epidural she would come down, but I didn't realize that it was basically necessary. I think I was fighting the contractions so hard that I needed to relax for her to come down.
It happened so quickly that she was ready that I wasn't quite ready! I wanted to get Larry and Hadley on the way so she could be the first one to meet Remi (besides Jonas and my mom of course). The midwives said we could try to wait but she might come on her own! It took about 6 contractions to get her out, and we were going pretty slow unlike with Hadley (Hadley's heart rate had dropped drastically and I had to get her out as fast as I could). With Remi it was a whole different experience, and I feel like I got to actually "enjoy" the process of her being born. Remi was born at 6:27 p.m. on September 7. They were concerned she might have some stuff in her lungs, so as soon as she was born they took her to the pediatric team to get checked out. It only took her a few seconds to scream so Jonas got to bring her to me.
There are no words to describe seeing your baby for the first time. It was so sweet this time because Jonas was much more relaxed and he was crying as she came out. My first reaction was how tiny she was. I expected a baby at least bigger than Hadley was, but Remi was 6 pounds 7 ounces and 19.5 inches. She latched on right away and then as soon as they were done working on me Hadley got to come meet her.
I don't know that Hadley knew exactly what to think. She thought she was so cute but didn't want to hold her. Hadley was also a little overwhelmed with the whole thing and the fact that she was with all of these people in the waiting room besides mom and dad.
Jonas was so cute with Remi, and she recognized his voice just like Hadley did. Once Hadley had met her the rest of the clan piled in and got to hold her for a few minutes each.
I think Hadley and Remi look alike, but I think Remi favors Jonas a lot. It is looking like she will have blue eyes, and we're not sure on her hair color right now. I am guessing it will be similar to Hadley's. The next day Remi got her first bath and did really well with it. She has been a pretty relaxed baby so far, and all of the staff at the hospital commented on that.
I feel like this is such a condensed version because it was such a long day! Overall it definitely wasn't the labor I was expecting, but it seems they usually aren't! At the end of the day the most important thing was that Remi was healthy. The staff at the U Hospital was so amazing. Every person we saw (and there were a lot) was so nice and helpful. I thought I would be so upset with myself if I ended up getting an epidural, but in this case I know I gave it my all and in the end it was necessary to get our Remi to us. She has completed our family, and we couldn't be more in love!

1 comment:
Yay for baby! She's adorable! I think she looks like Hadley too ;) Your experience reminds me SO much of mine. Oh my gosh. So hard. And I was pretty disappointed too at having to get an epidural. Same thing happened to me - got to hospital at a 3 and after HRS of labor I was barely a 4 if that. So disheartening. It sure was a lot more fun after the epidural :) And you're right. Totally doesn't matter because you got a little precious baby at the end of it and that's the most important thing. I think you are one awesome mama! So glad all is well. Congrats!
Post a Comment