4.30.2012

News Flash

Me and Jonas aren't Mormon.

And we live in Utah.

Shocked yet? Ya right.

We have been talking about this a lot lately. Unfortunately, it is something that comes up on a regular basis around these parts. Thankfully we are on the same page with this. (Unlike the argument that health insurance should cover birth control...definitely not on the same page on that one.)

When you grow up in Utah and aren't Mormon, there are a lot of issues that come up. Yes, I often felt like an outsider, yes I had people who were so nice to everyone else but would not talk to me (yes you...the Bishop's daughter), yes I had boyfriends parents that liked me...but didn't want me dating their son. It was a lot harder to deal with when I was younger than now for the obvious reasons. It is hard to differentiate the people from the religion when you are a kid. It is hard when people who don't know you won't associate with you. It is really annoying when your 'friends' send missionaries after you.

Of course me and Jonas have the added bonus that the "other side," aka the non-Mormons, generally don't understand us either. We don't party, didn't live the crazy single life, and I didn't sleep with the whole frat house (gasp). Jonas said the other day he generally feels more left out by these people...who won't hang out with us because they will be at the bar. I find that as much as non-Mormons feel they are judged, a lot judge Mormons just as much.

It bothers me that for a lot of people the label of Mormon or non-Mormon sums up a person. "Oh...you aren't Mormon?...", or "I would never date a Mormon." Of course religion is a major part of some people's lives, but is it everything?

Speaking of, has anyone heard that Mitt Romney is a Mormon? (As if that is the only important factor in determining if he should be President. Not to mention I think this country could use some good family values about now.)

Why do these two non-Mormons live in Utah? We love the land, the people, the nonsmoking laws, the family values, the safety of our little valley. Yes, we occasionally deal with ignorant people, and yes, a lot of them are Mormons. Luckily our neighborhood is pretty easy going and I have only had one person (the Bishop) say something inappropriate. To be honest, the Jehovah witness ladies are the ones I hide from.

I do not agree with a lot of the ideas and beliefs of the Mormon church. But I 100% believe that everyone has the right to believe what they want, at least when it doesn't involve pressuring or judging me. Do I think gay people should have equal rights? Absolutely. Do I think that having an alcoholic drink every now and then is bad? No. I think it is far better than drinking diet soda everyday. Do I think people that petition the church for following their beliefs are idiots? Yes.

So, it is safe to say that I am annoyed when people are reduced and perceived by one part of them (ie their religion.) I prefer to surround myself with good people. Plain and simple.

Oh, and sweet little Bishop's daughter who was so mean to me? I kissed your now-hubby in high school. Ha.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Very nicely said!!!

The Bennett's said...

ha ha ha i love that last sentence so much!!!

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

Even though I am Mormon I like what you wrote and we should treat everyone no matter what religion with respect. We are taught that but unfortunately many do not follow that. We have always thought you and Jonas were fun and it does not matter if you are not Mormon! Out here we are the outcast so to speak but I really like living outside of Utah from that aspect. Sorry you are treated so poorly!

-kerri

The Fullmers Four said...

Devin, I completely agree. It bugs me so much when people let religion determine who their friends are. Then I started thinking, why don't we hang outlet often? I think we need have a barbecue or something.

PS. I love the last line in your post!