6.02.2012

Done and Done

This was the 3rd year in a row we signed up for the Little Red race.  The 1st year I was pregnant, last year was my grandma's memorial in Wyoming, and so this year we were determined to do it!

I am not the person who thinks it is cool to do something without training, but with our schedules I didn't have much time to ride my bike so I had only rode it twice this year and then hadn't done much the past few weeks because of my knees.  So I wasn't too sure how it would go to do 80 miles.
 But we are pretty stubborn and wanted to prove Jonas wrong who said it would take us 8 HOURS.
 Getting in the zone...
 Checking out the competition.  HA.  It is a ride for charity so they don't keep track of times and you don't really know who is riding what distance.  I loved that part.
 Getting ready to go!
 My mom's goal was to kick my butt.
 And mine was to stay on my bike.  I think there is a 50/50 chance every time I ride that I will fall over.  I decided today to make a jersey that says on the back "CAUTION...FALLS FREQUENTLY."
 I was really nervous for the start with there being so many people.  But it really wasn't bad compared to some other parts of the route.  We stopped a few times (once to chat with Hadley Mae) but decided to skip lunch at mile 50 and just get it done.  I can't imagine riding 30 more miles with a belly full of Subway.  No thanks.

We didn't keep track of where we were and the route doesn't exactly tell you (like we are used to with runs).  So we were pleasantly surprised to get to the finish line much sooner than expected.  We finished in 5 hours including all of our stops so we were happy with that.  Eat dirt Jonas.  Or just do parkour.
 We had a lot of fun...although we maybe wouldn't do it again.  That is yet to be determined.  Overall the race was really fun and well organized.  My only complaint was about the course marshals who were complete jerks.

AND...drumroll.  I didn't fall over once!  I did, however, almost die by cat.  This cat darted in front of me and it would have been VERY bad had i not avoided it.  And I am talking about me not the cat.  I hate cats.
Running is still my favorite by a long shot but I am trying to convince Jonas to let me sell my bike and get the pink and white one I saw today.  SOOO CUTE!  Then I might ride more :).

LOVE YOU MOM!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love you too!!!! Wasn't trying to kick your butt!!! Just wanted to let you know Granny wasn't far behind you!!!