6.18.2012

RAGNAR 2012

 I kind of sucked at taking pictures....but that is only because we were having so much fun I didn't want to miss it always being behind the camera!  (So a few of these photos are borrowed.)

Our team came up Thursday night because we had to get up early Friday for our 6:50 start time.  So we were all a little short on sleep from the get-go.

Here we are at the starting line...still smelling good and happy!  Missy, Jonas, Brent, Zach, Weston, and me!
 I made it through my first leg (7.5 miles very hard) and it was such a boost to have the van with blasting music and Jonas behind the bull horn.  My knees hurt about a mile in so I knew I was in for a rough one.  BUT...I wasn't about to let it ruin my fun!!
 The weather was awesome!  I can't even imagine doing this if it was raining (or snowing).
 Jonas dancing while driving.  Much safer than the next day when Jonas was driving while tired.  (Red light, red light, RED LIGHT!!!)
 Just doing our jobs cheering for every person that we passed!  Luckily we only temporarily lost a few things out of the back the whole time...
This guy was one of our favorites.  He danced and did lots of sword fighting.  At one point he got up beside the van and jumped around scaring me and Missy to death.
After our first leg we headed to Snowbasin and relaxed for a while until we started running again.  I loaded up on ibuprofen, pumped up my ipod (I never run with music), and literally sang most of my run.  I was in massive amounts of pain but was determined to get through it...all 8.5 miles of downhill.  When I finished I told everyone to make sure I didn't run the next day.
 Everyone else rocked their second legs and we headed to a school to get some sleep.  It was around midnight when we came WAY TOO CLOSE to hitting an elk.  We would have all been toast.  Zach is our hero for not killing us.
We had a bit of a rough go when we woke up (ie being at the wrong exchange) but once we got going everyone did awesome again.  The boys waiting for Missy on her killer leg.
 Zach doing his morning stretches.
 Smelly love...
 Brent "making it rain."
 It was freezing in the morning and so we were all excited to see the sun come out.
 I of course tried to run a measly 3 miler and went to get my clothes on when Jonas SCREAMED at me repeatedly that I wasn't running.  Rude.  But he rocked it and Weston finished our leg off with an easy 2.5.

Then it was time to address our van issues....this van was completely AMAZING to have except for the fact that the battery died about 2 hours into the race.  We had to get jumped all along the way and for the most part just left it running.  So we had to buy a battery and spend a fortune on gas.  FUN!
 Once that was taken care of it was time for food and beer!  Oh wait...Brent got distracted.  And Missy?  Watch out for that bird...
 Greasy pizza never tasted so good.  Can you tell we are all a little tired?
 I had high expectations from our van and warned everyone I would kick them out if they got ornery.  But the whole 2 days were way better than I thought.  We had such a blast and everyone, besides me, killed their runs.  I am completely depressed about my knees but I was still able to run 16 miles on very hard legs so I will get over it!  (Eventually.)

 Around 4:00 our other van finished and we were able to cross the finish line!  The other van included my sister, her husband and his nephew, my dad, his cousin and her husband.  
 Tired+stinky+hot=random picture.
I am pretty sure that after my second leg I said I will never run another race again.

I am a big fat liar.

No comments: